"...They are to teach what is good, and so train the young woman to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled."

Titus 2:3-5

12.03.2007

A Woman's Image... Part 1

Like everyone, for most of my life I have had insecurities about myself. Whether it was teenage (or adult) acne, crazy puffy frizzy hair (you can't imagine some of the pictures) or even some the clothes I wore, there has always been an area in which I have felt I could improve. In spite of all of those things, my physical body image (my shape or condition) was never really a source of attack. Now, perhaps it is because I was obsessed with my hair, which never looked right, but my body was just not an area of struggle, until recently. I had my son fourteen and half months ago and although I was back into my regular clothes about 10 days after his birth, nothing has ever been the same. Within the past few months this has really become an area of attack for me, so I thought I would devote a few days to searching out what God says about the physical image of a woman. Lets begin with this in mind from Proverbs 31 "Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised (v30)." There is no doubt that what is inside of a woman is where much of her value lies; however, we would be blind to believe that the physical presence has no worth. It says of the Proverbs 31 woman that "...her clothing is fine linen and purple (v22b)." These materials are seen through out scripture as a representation of stature and beauty. But let us look first to the one who created us before we define both our outward and inward appearance.

"So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them (Genesis 1:2)." The word likeness, dmuwth in Hebrew, means likeness, resemblance, similitude; image, model, pattern, or shape. In other words, we were made to resemble and simulate the image, model, pattern, and shape of our Creator. So what does scripture say about our Creator: Psalm 19:1a says, "The heavens declare the glory of God." In Revelation 4:2-3"...a throne stood in heaven, with one seated on the throne. And he who sat there had the appearance of jasper and carnelian, and around the throne was a rainbow that had the appearance of emerald." In Job 37:22b "God is clothed with awesome majesty." In 2 Peter 17 God is described as the Majestic glory. Majesty, the Hebrew word hadar, is translated as glory, beauty, and excellency. Just these few glances of God as the eyes of men have see him, give us the idea of God's majesty, beauty, glory, and grandeur. This is the image in which we were created. But let us conclude with this view, Hebrews 1:3 says "He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on High." We are created in the image of the Majesty on High and the one who is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature. For today, let us take some solace in the fact that our image in liked to the one who is more majestic and glorious than we can even fathom. Everything about God is beauty, so if we are created in His likeness, we can only be but beautiful.

More to come...

No comments: