"...They are to teach what is good, and so train the young woman to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled."

Titus 2:3-5

9.30.2009

The Book of James is good...

All of scripture falls under "what is good," but I like to call the Letter of James the Guide to Christianity. At first glance James is a really hard book to swallow, I read much of his words and find myself burdened. But I have realized that this letter is a mirror and as I gaze into it the refection I should see is one who is like Christ. In chapter 1:22-25 he says:
But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing.
So James is indeed a mirror. I look inside of his words and I don't see the law, for Christ has fulfilled it, but I see a standard for those who are in Christ that I must weigh myself against. So I thank God for his grace and the Holy Spirit working in me. So James.... definitely filed under what is good!

No comments: