"...They are to teach what is good, and so train the young woman to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled."

Titus 2:3-5

10.01.2009

When I was a child...

It is unreal how much my daughter looks like me when I was a child. However, what strikes me most is not just the similar outer appearance, but the exact same personality (as I have heard and I suppose I admit). Now, I love this little girl. I had no idea what a joy it would be to have a daughter. The sweetness and laughter that she brings with her presence was nothing I could have imagined. However, the apple did not fall far from the tree when it comes to being strong-willed and stubborn. I like to make the joke that the only thing that is going to save her from daily battles with her parents if early regeneration. I say that because a turning point for me was when I recognized who Christ was (and is) and that his call to those He saves is not just to be a moralist. The call that lead me to exhibit love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (Galatians 5:22) and not my strong-willed and I guess I will admit, stubborn nature.

I have said it before, but having children is a great way to point out your own sin. Not just in the way I interact with them, but watching all of the sinful behaviors that they learn from me, or in the way they act out their own sins. Face it, we just sin in a more self-controlled manor. So I saw this picture of Lydia and as cute as she is, I thought the hair, the smile, and the fact that she is standing up in her crib when she is supposed to be laying down, was yet again a picture of my spiritual condition. So I thank God everyday that he has given me such a cute way to be reminded of my need for a Savior and that one day I (and I plead my children) will see Christ face to face. So through my children, God is continually pointing out what is good...

When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man [woman], I gave up childish ways. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully know. 1 Corinthians 13:11-12

1 comment:

April said...

love the new "do" Lydia girl!
And love the changes you have made as well.